If you struggle with anxiety then something you carry with you every day might be making things worse: your phone. In this episode I break down 3 ways that your phone might be increasing or creating a lot of anxiety within you. Let’s dive into the stories, science, and how we can change our lives to be better!
- Your phone can cause some anxiety
- #1: Social media on your phone can create unhappiness and anxiety
- Karen X’s Talk on going viral – https://youtu.be/y10fAGcjDhY
- How do you FEEL when you get a like on instagram/facebook/twitter
- You get high from these likes
- “As an influencer there is this perfect recipe that is contributing to unhappiness. By definition your success is measured in likes, and it’s only a short hop away for then your self worth to be measured in likes. Which is only a losing proposition.” – Karen X
- How you get rats addicted to sugar water
- Intermittent / variable rewards
- Like gambling!
- #2: Your phone notifications force you to always be connected, always be entertained etc…
- Why people get anxiety when they first meditate
- Do you always need to be ‘connected’?
- #3: Your phone is causing you to have poor sleep… which increases anxiety
- “While light of any kind can suppress the secretion of melatonin, blue light at night does so more powerfully. Harvard researchers and their colleagues conducted an experiment comparing the effects of 6.5 hours of exposure to blue light to exposure to green light of comparable brightness. The blue light suppressed melatonin for about twice as long as the green light and shifted circadian rhythms by twice as much (3 hours vs. 1.5 hours).” – Harvard Study
- What can you do to change your phone habits to reduce anxiety?
Resources & References
- More free resources and recommendations
- Some interesting blue light blocking glasses I want to get some day – https://shopfelixgray.com/